Friday, 3 January 2014

Nairobi - Kenya- Meeting. Tutembee Pamoja

This morning Lisa and I awoke and headed down for breakfast. We completing packed our bags so we could spend the morning relaxing by the pool.
We read pour books, paid our bills and organised a taxi to come and pack us up. It was a nice morning to relax and get some things done- I think it is going to be chaos as of tomorrow!

We took the taxi to South B to meet Tim and Andrew. They have been living with the Christian brothers. One of their resident houses in Nairobi anyway! Unfortunately we didn't meet any of the brothers as they were all away, but hopefully we can organise for Lisa and I to stay with them the night we fly back into Kenya after Zanzibar.
We took a taxi to the airport with 'Taxi Tom'. This is where we waited at the big exit gates at. Nairobi airport where people wait to watch their loved ones exit customs. Similar to ours, except there are also big guys with AK47 guns! I am starting to get used to these now though.

Our Tutembee Pamoja group slowly made their way to us and it was great to enjoy their excitement. We took taxis to Karen, where we are staying with the Sister of St Joseph's.
Walking through the guarded gate, I think we were all in shock- this place is incredible! Beautifully manicured gardens, a big chapel, resident houses, eating areas- I feel like I'm back at Amberly! We all got shown to our rooms by the nuns- bedrooms to ourselves with our own bathrooms?! This is crazy! Not what I was expecting at all. Living the high life!
There was however another group doing the exact program as us from WA, who is also staying the night here. They start in Tanzania and then we swap. This meant that there were not enough beds for each person, so Lisa and I volunteered to share for the night.
We went for a walk into town and stumbled across some Masaai markets. The jewellery and gifts here are much more bright and colourful here in Kenya compared to Botswana! I got too excited looking at all the colourful beads, but am forcing myself to hold off buying anything until I get closer to the end of my trip. I also want to maybe wait and get things specifically made for me by the ladies I will be working with in Tanzania, so I can support their businesses.

Upon returning to our accommodation, one of the nuns rang the dinner bell! Yep- I feel like I'm in a movie. We all ran over and washed our hands before we entered the hall and were fed all sorts of different vegetable casserole dishes and goat for dinner. It was actually delicious. I'm very excited about all the veggies! I think I'm going to be eating too well here!
We spent an hour debriefing and discussing the next few days of the program before heading to bed. Poor things- most of them were asleep in their chairs before the meeting finished! Big few days of travel with very little sleep.

Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment