Saturday, 4 January 2014

Day 2 - Connecting with the Karibu Members

This morning we met our new friends. The members of the Karibu Youth group that run Edmund Rice camps here in Kenya. They are incredible people who have an unbelievable amount of energy and hype.

The minute we met, I had people hugging me, holding my hand, playing with my hair- it was crazy, and almost a little overwhelming! I can't believe how friendly everyone was. Most of the members are between the ages of 18-30 and have either grown up doing camps themselves, and then decided to become a camp leader- or have come into through the program from other means such as their church group, or the Christian brothers teaching them in school.

We bonded over some hilarious games 'balance the ball', 'my little pony' 'Speed dating' I'm going to need to write them all down before I forget! Most of the games involved high energy dance movements and of course lots of singing! It's amazing how through silly icebreaker games how comfortable and close everyone becomes over such a short period of time.
We then retired inside where we sang 'I come from a land down
Under' to our new friends, and literally fed them vegemite sandwiches! I'm not sure if there were many people who could have confidently said they enjoyed the experience- but it was great fun to watch anyway. In return, our new friends did some dancing and singing for us also- they love to dance so much! It was the best!

We enjoyed lunch together which consisted of beef stew, veggies, and chapati bread (yum!) before heading back inside to have a few meetings and organisational talks about the program for the following days. It was lots of talking, but it was probably necessary.
When it was time for our friends to leave, in traditional Eddy Rice style, it took them two hours to say goodbye. Lots of hugging and laughing, photos and joke telling.
Afterwards, our Australian group went into town to try out the local pub and beer. The pub is very basic, walls, a bar and a few tattered posters on the wall and cold Tuskers. The tuskers are the local drink here and is actually quite nice. It almost has a honey-like flavour and I have become quite used to it being my regular drink now!

We returned to our house, completed some journal reflections and had our debrief for the day. We finished the night with a few games of Mafia.
My time is Africa is going to be quite different now- I can feel the busy- ness about to hit! Looking forward to it though. :)

Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment