Today we woke up and packed up all our tents and luggage. We loaded all our our gear back in the mokoros and set off back to the poling station. The trip felt so much quicker on the way back. It was very peaceful. Lisa and I organised some tips for the polers. I don't think they get paid very much- even though they do a phenomenal amount of work. I will never understand the tipping process- it's really difficult to figure out how much to give!
When we arrived back at the station, we loaded all our things back to the truck and went for a walk into the village. We took all our toys that we had handed to each other in Christmas morning and donated them to the kids in the village. It was amazing to see all the kids run out to us, just wanting to see what was going on and then reluctantly taking their new toys. Again, I wish I had so many more gifts and things to hand out! At one stage, Dave handed his toy Tonka truck to a little boy sitting along side his little brother in the shade. He slowly put his arms out to accept the truck and then picked up his brother, moved him to another tree out if the craziness and sat down to teach him how to push it along, making little noises as they played. We watched them from a distance for ages! It was gorgeous! Even though we didn't have things to give to everyone, it was amazing how well they all shared their new gifts.
Back at the hotel in Maun, we set up our tents again and had a day to relax. We did some hand washing and I was able to skype my family from the Lobby. They were all at the Hooper's Boxing Day Christmas lunch and it was amazing for me to see them all there together in their Christmas hats! Mum, dad, Erin, Sharni, Ben, hoops, Leigh and Jude. I couldn't help but start bawling my eyes out wishing I was home, just for that moment! It was the best Christmas Skype ever!
Lisa decided to head into town with a few of the others to do some shopping and grab some snacks for the trip tomorrow, but I stayed with Zea, Ben, Belinda and Dave to share some wine and pizza around the pool for the afternoon. It was just what I needed!
At 4, Simon, Zea, Ben, Belinda, Dave, Lisa and I were driven to the Maun International airport for a scenic flight over the Okavango Delta. I got to sit in the front seat with Pilot Ted, who was a German guy who had been living in Africa for two years. This was one of the most incredible experiences! We were in a tiny airplane, which meant that you felt every turn and every bump- but I loved it! As yet, we had not seen a single elephant, crocodile or buffalo, but on this flight we saw heaps! I am so glad we had been camping in the Delta prior to this flight, as it seems that crocodiles and Hippos are much more common that perhaps we were led to believe! We saw herds of elephants, monkeys, giraffes, hippos, buffalos, antelopes, zebras, wilder beats- so much! We even think we may have seen a lion walking to a waterhole, but it was hard to tell from the height we were at at the time.
We all exited the flight on such a high! This group in particular are the people that I have bonded with the most- I never want to leave them!
That night we had a buffet dinner at the hotel and sat around for a few drinks. It was the best! To make it even better- Judge (one of our polers) and even pilot Ted showed up to share a few drinks with us!! We sang songs around the table and shared stories and jokes as a group- great night!
0°, 0°
No comments:
Post a Comment